Explain the process of designing a secure M-Commerce portal. How does it differ from designing a secure E-Commerce portal. Make necessary assumptions as well as list them.?
Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link and will create a new password via email.
The internet and other technological advances have certainly changed the way we do things today. Even the most mundane things can now be accomplished through various ways and means, which have a lot to do with technology. Just look at customer behavior, particularly on how they shop and where they shop, and you will see a marked difference from the time before the internet and e-commerce came about.
The evolution of how we transact did not stop there. The increasing usage of mobile and telecommunication devices acted as another precursor to change, and that change led to the rise of mobile commerce, also known as m-commerce.
M-Commerce: The simplest way to describe mobile commerce would be the buying and selling of products – or the conduct of commercial transactions and activities – through telecommunication and other mobile devices that run or operate on wireless network technologies.
It is safe to say that m-commerce is an upgraded version of e-commerce. In fact, m-commerce has been defined as the conduct of e-commerce activities using mobile or cellular devices. If business transactions involve the use of wireless telecommunication networks, then it is highly likely to fall under m-commerce.
Process of designing a secure M-Commerce
• Decide Where to Sell: Before you sell your products or services via m-commerce, you need to decide what type of outlets or stores suit your business best. Let us suppose you have created ringtones − you can sell them either at specific third-party outlets or to independent aggregators who charge you a commission for the service.
You can also sell your ringtones on mobile stores or app stores such as Android marketplace or App store (Apple). These stores are frequently visited by many buyers and hence ideal for making sales easily and efficiently. Finally, you can also sell via your own mobile store by creating a mobile website specifically for sales or as by setting-up an m-commerce page on your main website.
• Security: If you are setting up your own portal instead of using existing ones then you should always make sure that the content is secure. Connection to users is encrypted with at least 128 bit security. SSL certificate is must to obtain the trust of user and secure the connection.
If you are going to build an app make sure the data stored on server is safe with security keys and only authorised users get access to it.
• Set up Mobile Billing: Once you have decided where to sell and set up the security, the next step is to set up your merchant account. For instance, you can use third-party services such as PayPal. This is ideal for small businesses or also large companies. A third-party application makes it really easy for you as well as your customers to make the payments, but then they do charge commission on the transaction.
You can also set-up your own billing and payment gateway. Mobile users do not use keyboards or a mouse so make sure that the design of your m-commerce site is intuitive, with easy navigation tools and the right display sizes. Basically, make your m-commerce site optimized for Smartphone users.
M-Commerce Can Also Be Used In Following:
• Mobile Banking: This application makes it possible to perform bank-related transactions such as checking account status, transferring money and selling stocks, via mobile devices, independent of the current user location,
• Mobile Entertainment: This application offers services that provide entertainment through mobile devices such as ring tones, music and videos, gaming and chatting etc.
• Mobile Information Services: This term refers to mobile services that provide subscribers with content that provides information. Examples of such services are news updates of any nature (finance, politics, sport, etc.), travel information, access to search engines and Mobile Office (e-mails, appointments, etc.).
• Mobile Marketing: This term refers to services based on mobile communication ‘technologies that provide firms with new and innovative instruments to increase sales, win and retain customers, improve after-sales service, build and sustain a positive and modem image/brand and carry market research.
• Mobile Shopping: This application bundles services that allow for of transactions involving purchase of goods using mobile devices. The user can purchase products by choosing them from a catalogue accessible from a mobile device.
• Mobile Ticketing: All services that must be paid for, before a lawful utilization can take place, are suitable for Mobile ticketing such as travelling in public transport, entry to a cultural event or cinema. This application ensures that the user can purchase a right to utilization/ticket with a mobile device, replacing the conventional paper ticket. The ticket is sent in digital form to the mobile device.
• Telematics Services: Telematics is an artificial term that refers to innovative technologies that link telecommunication technologies with informatics. The transport segment has been the primary area of this application, which is also known as Intelligent Transport System (ITS). The main services are for navigation systems, remote diagnosis as well as access to other mobile applications such as mobile entertainment, mobile content/office, mobile banking and mobile shopping.
Difference in Designing Secure E-Commerce and M-Commerce Portal
Ecommerce and Mcommerce have different meanings, though both aim at making customers’ lives easier. Simply put, ecommerce is an umbrella term for selling and buying online, while mobile commerce, or Mcommerce, is a subcategory of ecommerce that focus on purchasing via mobile devices.
Despite their similar goals of buying and selling with the help of the internet, there are many glaring differences between ecommerce and Mcommerce.
Issues in Online Transaction for E-Commerce
• Authentication: In authentication, usemame and password of the user are matches with entries in the database and if the detail matches then he is authenticated as a genuine user and is given the rights to access the information. Authentication is a process of giving the authority to the individual to change the information according to the situation. It verifies that the person is an authentic user and wishes to access his account and only once the authentication is approved the system lets the user to login.
• Authorization: After authentication, the person can make the necessary changes to the data. Authentication and authorization goes parallel. If you have the authentic username and password, then you are an authorized person and are allowed to make the essential modifications with the data.
• Encryption: Encryption provides the means of securing the information using an encryption key in order to protect the confidentiality of the individual. Using this technique the data is encoded into an encrypted form and only an authentic person having the decryption key is able to access the secured information.
M-Commerce Security Concerns
• Confidentiality: Today data is one of the major assets for any organization. To make it secure and confidential, we need to keep information safe from unauthorized access, for example, any personal information, bank account, government documents, credit card numbers etc. For privacy reasons, we need to keep data safe and secure.
• Integrity: Data Integrity is used to save information from being modified by unauthorized users. Data has value only if it is correct. If data is altered, it might lead to heavy losses. For example, if our account information is tampered with while transferring money to another account, the money might be lost into unknown accounts.
• Availability: A user authorized can access data only when data is available. Data holds value only if the right user can access at the correct time. Hence, to access data, the user needs to have permission to avail the data.
E-commerce is majorly used for the sale and purchase of goods using the web, but the financial exchange is carried out using electronic devices. M-commerce and E-commerce playing a crucial role in online business and customers increase day by day. M-Commerce security is extremely vital issue now in these days that wants more study to begin effective and efficient solution. In this paper, I have tried to cover safety concern for online transaction. The issue likes privacy, verification, encryption and authorization is discussed to make secure transactions over the wireless devices. Encryption only is not enough. Un-authenticated with SSL certificate gives integrity and confidentiality, but they require to third-party verification. It allows the recipient with a digital SMS to verify the authentication. Security of payment can be enhancing using the SSL Layer. This security technique is used to give safety to the client as well as the customer to in order to purchase the desired items.